Skip to main content

Make a Thing Project: Othello is the Muse

Period 4


So in Othello by William Shakespeare we introduced to a man that is of high stature. He is a moor which at this time period, that’s not a good thing. Nevertheless Othello rises in rank in the Army and becomes a respected man within the royal community. Then things get even better for Othello when he meets the love of his life Desdemona. The two lovebirds are inseparable and then everything hits the fan. Iago decided to but his little nosy self into other people’s business and mess stuff up. Othello no longer trusts Desdemona and ends up killing her, then he obviously finds out that he was betrayed by Iago and then he kills himself. So this was obviously a tragedy. Kelsey and I decided to do a dance based around a poem that was written based on Othello. It showed the love that was shown between Othello and Desdemona. The poem was written by the fabulous Nasya King, and it reads as follows:

Othello-Jealousy

She was my life, a temple of purity, clean, and innocent, and when my heart felt drained of passion her sweet smile would replenish it. She was a mirror from heaven, reflecting only the parts of me that I wanted to see. She could be my queen my moon and my stars, teemed with joy that made my soul giggle, wriggle with excitement when I was alone at the thought of her loving me. An old man wrought of all his glee by a life that chews and spits, uses and hits, ignores a miss, and throws a fit when I try and stop it. They need me, but will leave me. Call me to fight but deny my rights to see you, to be a hu…man! Isn’t it crazy? I fought for you and was made a fool; in front of those that already called me a court jester. See I wasn’t a clown, but because of my status they wanted to see me clown around because they were inadequate and needed confidence and you were just a step deeper into the hatred. But because I wanted a way for us to work, I made it. It was shaded by large trees and grew pink flowers the color of your cheeks. Yet, you dishonored me. Your words of love had crossed “I’s”, and dotted “t’s”. They were backwards and strange captivated me in a way I can’t explain. So soft was your skin and open was your heart and bright were your eyes and now I despise………Now I cannot look at you. Dirtied by another man’s hands. I cannot breathe freely knowing both you and he stand. When will it end? This torment in my mind and my chest like I am blind and deaf, left bereft of the light that shined; the clock that whined, the peace of mind they say comes with time; I’m just pitiful and so sorry.

 

So as you can see from this poem there is a lot of emotion but mostly, yes you guessed it, jealousy. In our dance we related the beginning of the relationship when Othello and Desdemona are in sync and are in love, but towards the end of the poem there is a shift. They become out of sync making their own moves and being not one, but two separate entities. Then there comes the time when they are arguing a pushing and pulling each other and then they wind up both dying and falling and they are wiped away. By Jealousy.

 

Here is the link to the video.  https://vimeo.com/128332972.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Quest

     The Quest. This word is capitalized because it shows that it possesses major significance. Now I must first do the ritual summarizing of the chapter that was read just so that you lovely people reading this blog can have some sort of inclining of a clue of what I am talking about. The first chapter of How to read Literature like a Professor, details a scenario, or a hypothetical situation. There is a young man that is sent to the store to buy something that an adult told him to buy, being a respectable "good" kid, he follows direction. Then he is faced with a dilemma, he sees the girl of his dreams talking to his "arch nemesis" the "cool guy" on his super hot rod sports car. He buys the bread but comes to the epiphany that he has to do something major to win the attention, heart, love, or whatever "good guys" typically want to win from the girl of their dreams. The major thing that he decides to do is join the Marines, even though he isn

Beloved and 12 years a Slave: Slavery

Slavery. This is a word that is still controversial to this day. In the dictionary Slavery means “ submission to a dominating influence or the state of a person who is a chattel of another. This basically means that there is a person that you have to listen to and do as they say, and not like a “if you feel like it manner.” When you first think of slavery we automatically think of the chattel slavery that took place in the foundation era of the United States. But there are many forms of Slavery. Mental, Physical, and Emotional….these are also the many different forms of abuse in relationships if you didn’t notice, but I am not a certified psychologist so let us move forward.   Beloved follows a group of people whose lives revolve around slavery and the trials that they have to face while in slavery and the repercussions that they make while trying to gain their freedom. The first setting that we are introduced to is the plantation Sweet Home. The plantation owners are Mr. and

Target, Aim, Fi...Don't Fire

Violence. It is a word that does not bring music to my ears. “Violence is one of the most personal and even intimate acts between human beings, but it can also be cultural and societal in its implications.” I do not like violence in any way, shape, or form. When I first think of violence I think of killing. I don’t agree with it. In my opinion no one on this Earth has the right to determine when and how I hurt, or when and how I die. Including Suicide. I know that that is a very touchy subject in general, but even more so now that the late great Robin Williams has passed, but it’s just my belief. Death should come as naturally as it can. In the book it gave this example of this woman Sethe that has escaped slavery. That alone is a major feat in itself. But there comes a time when Sethe and her two children are about to be taken back into slavery. Sethe wants to save her children so she decides that in order to save them she has to kill them. She only “succeeds” with one. Afterwar